Another Question:

TRUSTINWEB

Hello Everyone,

I am having a problem with an error message:

Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory.

How can I do this?

THANKS

TRUSTINWEB

Register_globals were turned off in php4.2 in the year 2002 because they allow a hacker to set session variables from outside a script. No new code, new books, new tutorials, or new hosting accounts should have been created after that point in time that relied on register_globals or had them turned on. All major scripts have been updated to eliminate their dependency on register_globals and to eliminate this security hole. Register_globals have been completely removed in php6.

If you are attempting to use a six year old script that is still dependent on register_globals, you need to find a different script.

Thanks for the explanation & history: I appreciate it- Unfortunately- I did buy the script and is there a way around this problem>>? Can I create a .htaccess or php.ini file to throw in that file directory and if so, how would I write or do that???

Thanks a bunch-

TRUSTINWEB

You can change the setting in the master php.ini (if this is on your server), in a .htaccess file (if php is running as an Apache module and the host has allowed the setting to be changed), or in a local php.ini (if php is running as a CGI wrapper and the host has allowed the setting to be changed.)

Assuming that you can even turn the setting on at your current host/server, sooner or later you will end up with a host that won't allow the setting to be turned on or you will be on a server where there won't be any way to turn it on. You either need to fix the script so that it is not dependent on register_globals or use a different script.

One reason you have not gotten a quicker response, this question has absolutely nothing to do with the forum section it is posted in - SQL / Database Forums > MySQL Help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.