try to do . some what like Drop down menu but in HTML form i thinks its caled

yanivkalfa

Hey i am trying to make a drop down menu but not exacly like drop down its like the one that comes in form . like list .. you pic item and the item's value been sent on submit -- i thinks its called Combobox but i want to designed it my self and i have no simple idea where to start looking . thanks in advanced ..

have a question do you people ajax / javascrip/ xml / dhtml / are realy realy needed for websiting ? i mean if i realy realy wonna get good at it . sould i learn this as well . PHP/CSS /HTML wont be enough ?. a

I think you're looking for the <select> tag

<?php
<select>
  <option value='1'>Option 1</option>
  <option value='elephant'>Banana</option>
</select>
?>

As for are ____ needed?  It depends what you're doing.  You should focus on one-three, but be familiar with all of them.  Once you really learn scripting, you'll realize that most of the coding is the same across languages, just under different names for the same results.  Meaning: it's not hard to pick up a language once you start thinking like a coder.

You should concentrate on a good server side language (php,asp,cgi,jsp,,etc), javascript is very useful as well (dhtml is comprised of javascript), xml is good to know how to manipulate for when people want to share data (used in RSS feeds, etc)

CSS is just fun for making things presentable, and in my opinion very useful

i simply have a  pic, i want the pic to be the Combobox . i want that the user logon the site . see a pic clicks on this pic and then choose the list that opens .. and when you click on 1 of the options, the text field i have near it will change with the word inside that options.

main problem is how to make the Combobox looks the way i want it . i'll give you example on how i want it .. go to here: http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

there is on the righ side a combobox that looks nice i want to make something that will look nice as well on the same idea . just other look.

and i have no slitest idea how to make it . please any help would be nice

thanks  or arigato gozimasha in japanees

On that website, if you are talking about the combo box on the right for choosing a language, it's made using Flash.

Flash is a whole different animal.  The basics of that is that they used a few images and put them together, and using the program Flash, made it pop out nicely.

if i understand correct you just want a select box like posted above.

<form method="post" action="" name="theform" class="theform">

<p>
					</p>
						<label>Contact Method:</label>

<select name="Cmethod">
								<option>Phone
								<option>Email
								<option>(AIM)
								<option>Yahoo
								<option>MSN
							</select>

<p>
							<input type="Submit" name="submit" value="Add">
					</p>
				</form>

</form>

something like that  then the action script used would depend on what your doing like a mail form or submitting to a database

Well no. i just wanted a normal Selectbox just looks like i want it to lock with a picture not this HTML look.

Beside that . i would like to ask something else .. look at this :

<form name="form" id="form">
  <select name="jumpMenu" id="jumpMenu" onchange="MM_jumpMenu('parent',this,0)">
    <option value="a">item1</option>
    <option value="s">item2</option>
    <option value="a">item3</option>
    </select>
</form>

this is the HTMl thingy for Jump meu .. its when you have some options and a text field or a window and when you click on 1 o the Options this text field/window changes acording to your choise i thinks it has some java scripts in it but dont know . how its done . thanks in advanced

• 2 weeks later...

<form id="form1" action="" onsubmit="" style="margin:auto;">
        <p>
        	<select name="prices" onchange="Process(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value)">
            <option value="-1" >Select Price</option>

<option value="25.36" >25.36</option>
            <option value="19.98" >19.98</option>
            <option value="36.95" >36.95</option>
          </select>
          <input type="text" name="t1"/>
        </p>
      </form>

<script type="text/javascript">
/**************************************************************************************
Author						:	Khalid Ali
Date							:	August 21,2002
Version						:	1.1
Company						:	webapplikations inc.      http://www.webapplikations.com
                    The code provided here is copy righted material and belongs to the
                    webapplikations.com inc. It is provided as a service for our visitors.
                    It can be used without permission provided that this notification
                    does appear at the top.
Description				: Drop Down list box displays cities specific to the country of
                    selection.
***************************************************************************************/
<!--
/*
  @param      Price
              updates the text field with the price selected from the drop down box.
*/
function Process(selection){
  var frm = document.getElementById("form1");
  frm.t1.value = selection;

}
//-->
</script>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.