Tracking URLs, is there some that wouldn't be picked up

-null-

This isn't so much my problem as the problem of a site I'm signed up to.  The site tracks the URLs of the people you refer to it however one of my referrals is showing as untracked and another member who referred people from YouTube is showing as untracked as well.

The programmer says the reason is because the people clicked a link in an email or typed the URL into the browser and I was wondering if that would be the only reason the URL would be untracked or whether there are other cases in which the referrer wouldn't be set.

I'm pretty sure when I did ASP years ago there were cases where the referrer wouldn't be set and wondered if that was the same now for PHP.

The information in HTTP_REFERER is unreliable at best. It can be spoofed, though I doubt that it is your issue. However, browsers (well, decent ones) can be set to not send this information and some firewalls will block it too.

So, it's not really a limitation of PHP. The data must be passed by the user-agent and some elect not to.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.