Do I need anything specific on my server....

peasepud

to run Ajax queries?

I didnt think so yet I took the following Ajax code (http://www.linuxuser.at/wiki_old/index.php?title=Most_Simple_Ajax_Chat_Ever), followed all the instructions and uploaded to my server yet it doesnt work for me, it loads and allows you to enter the 2 bits of info but never updates the file.

Ive checked the permissions and relative URLs and no problems, all are correct.

So after 3 hours of trying everything I could think of, I hunted out another script to play with (http://www.ajaxprojects.com/ajax/tutorialdetails.php?itemid=9) and again followed everything to the letter yet, again no joy, the database never gets updated. Ive tried echoing the code in both cases and it definitely goes to the script and gets to the relevant update part of the code but just doesnt work  ??? ???

Im lost, Im not new to either Javascript or php but this has me mightily confused!!!

• 2 weeks later...

No, ajax is a client side service that posts to the server so as long as you have a valid url on your server it should work without any worries.

Just try posting to a very simple php page

<?php

echo "Hello I'm from AJAX";

?>

and in your responseText in the AJAX see what the output is using an alert function.

alert( responseText );

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.