What's the difference...?

NoDoze

Between:

INSERT INTO tbl_auth_user SET user_id='$user_id', user_password='$user_password' , ID = '3'

and:

INSERT INTO tbl_auth_user (user_id, user_password) VALUES ('user', PASSWORD('password'))

I know the top one is entering info based on form results.

And the bottom one is entering the info directly into mysql.

But what's ID='3' ?

And why when the bottom one is entered into mysql, the password is encrypted?

I'm trying to replicate the bottom line entry, but instead via a php form, with the same password encryption, possible?

All my attempts so far to enter an encrypted password via a php form have failed :(

Any input helpful, thanks!

In your first example, the SET is really just like the VALUES, so you are setting the 3 columns with the values after the = sign.  So you are setting the ID of that row to 3 in your first example.  If your ID field is auto_increment, then you wouldn't need to set a ID value since the auto would take care of that for you.  Now if you already had a ID of 3 somewhere, you would need to use UPDATE to change the fields data instead of INSERT.

MySQL has its own Password hasher, and yes, it's called PASSWORD which you show above.  But I would highly recommend you don't use that and use SHA1 instead (or even MD5).

In your 2nd post, try it and see.

Between:

INSERT INTO tbl_auth_user SET user_id='$user_id', user_password='$user_password' , ID = '3'

and:

INSERT INTO tbl_auth_user (user_id, user_password) VALUES ('user', PASSWORD('password'))

I don't think the first example would work because you use the 'SET' keyword to update a table rather then to insert something into a table.

UPDATE tbl_auth_user SET user_id='$user_id', user_password='$user_password' WHERE ID = '3'

You code would work, but since you dont have a WHEREclause, it is going to update every row in your tbl_auth_user table. Which isn't a good idea

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.