Importance of a Data Plan in the Computer Industry

proggR

Right now I'm seriously considering getting an iPhone. Not just because its a cool phone but because the limited time deal from Rogers. Canadian cellular prices have ALWAYS been terrible, but, for the remainder of August if I buy an iPhone (or a Blackberry actually) I get locked into a $30 a month data contract that gets me 6GB of monthly bandwidth. Normally this amount costs $100 a month, so I'm saving quite a bit of money that way. And I've verified with Rogers already that I'm locked into that price until I cancel or switch my data plan, so even if I get a new phone years from now I keep the $30 data plan. Furthermore I can make any changes to my voice plan I want without it affecting the data price.

So my question is, in the computer industry, how important is a data plan. Anyone I know that does meetings often (computer related or not) or works in some form of IT job has a Blackberry of some sort and uses it frequently. I'm entering college next year and taking a Computer Programmer Analyst program and I'm assuming I'll be in one of these types of jobs that I'll be needed a decent data plan.

Also, if anyone has an iPhone, what do you find most useful about it. Have you jailbroken it? What apps have you found that are useful?

Sorry to bug with dumb questions, I just wanted to know what to expect.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.