PHP SQL dual update/insert show date

aeafisme23

Basically I have a form that updates and inserts new records that works perfectly fine but I need to show a updated timestamp/date of when the last update or insert was done. (Code below shows insert and update). Below my code i will show you what i thought was a correct way to go but need insight to find out how to do it.

Original snippet of code of insert/update:

if ($action == "add") 
  { 
    $sql = "insert into event_master (station_id, eventdate, eventname, eventcity, participated, notes) values('{$station_id}','{$eventdate}','{$eventname}','{$eventcity}','{$participated}','{$notes}');"; 
    $msg = "Record successfully added"; 
  }elseif($action=="edit"){ 
    $sql = "update event_master set station_id = '{$station_id}', eventdate = '{$eventdate}', eventname = '{$eventname}', eventcity = '{$eventcity}', participated = '{$participated}', notes = '{$notes}' where id = {$id};"; 
    $msg = "Record successfully updated"; 
  } 

How i thought it would be done: basically just tryign to do a dual sql insert to show date/timestamp of update. form would have a hiddent date field that would allow it to do this.

if ($action == "add") 
  { 
    $sql = "insert into event_master (station_id, eventdate, eventname, eventcity, participated, notes) values('{$station_id}','{$eventdate}','{$eventname}','{$eventcity}','{$participated}','{$notes}');"
"insert into dateonupdate (dayonupdated) values ('{$dayonupdate}');"
; 
    $sql = "update event_master set station_id = '{$station_id}', eventdate = '{$eventdate}', eventname = '{$eventname}', eventcity = '{$eventcity}', participated = '{$participated}', notes = '{$notes}' where id = {$id};"
insert into dateonupdate (dayonupdated) values ('{$dayonupdate}');"
; 
  } 

Any help would be great. Just a dual sql insert to two different tables in the database but unsure how to write the sql or how to structure it! Thanks in advance.

would it be like this?

if ($action == "add") 
  { 
    $sql = "insert into event_master (station_id, eventdate, eventname, eventcity, participated, notes) values('{$station_id}','{$eventdate}','{$eventname}','{$eventcity}','{$participated}','{$notes}');"; 
$sql = "insert into dateonupdate  (dayonupdated) values('{$dayonupdated}');"; 

$sql = "update event_master set station_id = '{$station_id}', eventdate = '{$eventdate}', eventname = '{$eventname}', eventcity = '{$eventcity}', participated = '{$participated}', notes = '{$notes}' where id = {$id};";

$sql = "insert into dateonupdate  (dayonupdated) values('{$dayonupdated}');"; 
  } 

or will 2 $sql back to back screw it up?

Well your $sql variable is just a variable getting assigned, there is no mysql_query() related to it.

So if you run that $sql, the second set of the variable will be the query to be ran.

Also, you should append or die(mysql_error()); to the end of your queries, otherwise would you know if the record was successfully updated?

You were exactly right Jabop on that the second variable $sql ran that sql statement only and not both of them conjuctively... How do i make them two seperate inserts upon submit. Here's a little more of the code shwonig you i do have error catching just not sure how to make 2 sql statements run at same time since they are both $sql

if ($action == "add") 
  { 
$sql = "insert into dateonupdate  (dayonupdate) values('{$dayonupdate}');"; 

$sql = "insert into dateonupdate  (dayonupdate) values('{$dayonupdate}');"; 
  } 

$result = conn($sql); 
  if (mysql_errno()==0) 
  { 
    confirm($msg); 
    list_users(); 
  }else{ 
    $msg = "There was a problem adding the user to the database. Error is:".mysql_error(); 
    confirm($mag); 
  }//end if 

} 

$query1='your query';

$query2='your query';

if ($query1) { /* perform it */ or die(mysql_error()); $msg='success'; }

if ($query2) { /* perform it */ or die(mysql_error()); $msg='success'; }

There are many ways you can do this. I just listed one.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.