[SOLVED] CSS image replacement/img source question

Derleek

So i have a question about CSS images and the url('img/location') command.

Ok lets say we have a directory 'root'.  Now in the root directory we have a folder called 'css' with a style.css file, a folder 'images' (duh, with all the images in it  :P), and an index.html file.

So we have:

root/index.html

root/images/img.jpg

root/css/style.css

In order to use an image as a background for <div id='image'></div> in the background: url('img/directory') command, does the syntax go

url('root/images/img.jpg')

or

url('images/img.jpg')

I usually do my URLs relative to the root. This means you start with a forward slash, then put the path down to the file. So I would use

url(/root/images/img.jpg)

In this way it doesn't matter where the filesreside, as the target file is always found from the root. So you can move your CSS wherever you want and it should still work. (note: test this, don't take me at my word.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.