Closing a browser window

stevepatd

I have a web-based school registration program.  One of the schools using it would like to let parents go to the computer lab on registration day and use their computers to register their child.  This program collects some personal information.  When the parent is done I would like to have a secure "log-off" script that prevents the next user from hitting the back key to reveal the previous information.

I've explored some javascript that closes a browser but it only works for IE, Safari, and early versions of Firefox.  Newer versions of Firefox purposely don't allow this (unless the page was opened with javascript which I now nothing about).  I don't know javascript, I'd rather do something with php/html if possible.

So, any brilliant minds out there have an idea?  I hate taking away the back key feature (if possible) as that really restricts the users.  Can I clear the browsing history so if I take them back to the log-in page and clear the history they have nothing to go back to?

How do I make a secure log-off?

Thanks,

Steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.