I dont know where to start.

liamthebof

http://pastebin.com/m50b0798d

Thats what I have been given.

It contains a placename followed by a list of co-ordinates.

NAME    (Xmin,Ymin,Zmin,Xmax,Ymax,Zmax) 
{"Arco del Oeste",                                {-901.10,2221.80,0.00,-592.00,2571.90,200.00}},

This file is from another language, not that that should matter. Anyway, I will be supplied with an x and y value somewhere between -4000 and 4000 on both axis.

Example, I receive x = -240 and y = 1540.

I need to output 'Bone Country' as it co-ords =

{"Bone County",                                   {-480.50,596.30,-242.90,869.40,2993.80,900.00}},

show that the values I recieved fit into its min and max, x and y values.

Ok, the co-ords of this file do not change so I can cut all the crap out, {{ ;; ect, as well as the z values.

Im thinking atm along the lines of looping a 'is my x value in between minX and maxX, if yes, add to a file matches, else go to next line. When I reach the bottom, take my Y value and loop every line in file matches checking if my Y value is between the files minY and maxY. If so, output the name.

I have posted at this early stage with a rather useless data file just to see if what I hope to achieve is possible.

Thanks for any replies.

Any clues as to how I can do what I said. I will be given to co-ords and I need to say which name they correspond to as the x and y value of the co-ords I will be given will be inbetween the minX and maxX and Y of one of those entries.

Im just asking for any advice, whats commands to look for ect.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.