Forum OOP Design Pattern

stuffradio

I'm starting a forum from scratch. I want to make it lightweight, and easily extensible.

Can you tell me which Design pattern you'd use to make a pattern and why? I'm not making this for anything else, just a forum.

I was going to help modify an old forum project that is now dead... but looking at the code it's very sloppy, very much procedural and hard to modify because you have to do a bunch of stuff in each page.

This defeats the purpose IMO of a nice open source forum because you need to learn its structure line by line before being able to add or remove to the code.

well you are going to need to know somehwat about something's structure before you start to use it.

I have rewritten my framework so that it uses functions that are all customizable and grantable to users.  And each function either displays or updates the site in some way (or both)  So you really can start doing something with basic forum functions (add topic add board add thread reply to thread)  and then down the road someone else could come in and add additional functions or modify existing functions to allow new things.

Its still procedural but flexible.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.