[SOLVED] to join or not to join?…

jonniejoejonson

Please can you help me by telling when I should and should not join 2 tables?…

Is it only when you want to compare things in 2 tables that you would use a join?… or would you also do it for the following problem…

For example if I had

Table 1.

A 'Comments' table… including a field ‘userId’… the Id of the user that leaves a comment

Table 2.

'ProfileDetails' table… including a field ‘userId‘ and ‘profileThumbnail’… (filename of profile picture.)

Now I need to get the correct profile pictures for the userId’s, of certain users that are in the comments table.

Do I somehow join the 2 tables…. Which I don’t see as necessary as I am not comparing any of the data?….

Or do I do 2 queries…

1. grab my userId’s from the commentsTable.

2. Grab the profileThumbnails from these grabbed userIds

I am self taught and am not really sure when to join tables and when just to do 2 queries… thanks to any responders.

SELECT c.comment, c.userID, p.profileThumbnail FROM Comments AS c INNER JOIN ProfileDetails AS p USING (userID) WHERE c.commentID = 1

One query to give you a comment text, a user ID and a thumbnail for comment #1 in your table...

So yes: join.

In most cases joining is preferable, as it will get you results quicker.

Joining can be tricky, but it's quite easy to grasp the basics.

In the example above, its just looking for a comment with commentID =1 in Comments table, and then tries to find matching userId in ProfileDetails table.

Thanks again Mchl,

Is there much difference between the amount of time it takes to run the first and second example?... i.e. should i change the field names so that i can use the first query example?, or it doesn't make any difference.

I think there is quite alot for my brain to get around on joining tables... anyway thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.