FrameWork Vs Template engine

Dorkar

Hi,

I am relatively new to PHP, and i am trying to design a web application that includes google map and database transaction. and i am using Eclipse PDT and xdebug as development tools because they are free.

Now, my question is -

what is difference between MVC Frameworks and Templating Framework, can i use MVC within Templating Framework? because i want efficient layering too.

does Codeignitor suffices all my needs? can i integrate it with eclipse?

regards

maruf

Templating is where you can easily have some designers make a template for your website.

For example if you have a variable called header, they would just go like "{header}" in the template, and it would display that info from the website.

MVC means Model View Controller. It's a design pattern for frameworks, the way the framework is coupled together and that's how it processes things.

The model is like an abstract class or whatever that can handle any databasing needs. The view handles your web pages, the looks of it. Controller controls what the page does. It can load the view, or the model and you can put information from the model in to the view.

Yes, CodeIgniter does suffice. There is a template engine inside of CodeIgniter.

I hope I answered all your questions well enough :)

thanx Mchl & stuffradio,

for my application i want templating & security (hide scripts from designers), plus customized controllers too. And i want to develop my application on Eclipse with the help of Xdebug.

but, i am stuck with the decision of which framework is to use?

Smarty or CI............or Cake

which one will give me the most flexibility and options for extensions? plus ease of use..

regards

maruf

I used to use Smarty a lot. Has some quirks, but it's pretty easy to understand it.

Now I'm using something completely different.

I create GUI using ExtJS and I use it's built-in AJAX capabilities to get data to/from PHP.

what is difference between MVC Frameworks and Templating Framework, can i use MVC within Templating Framework? because i want efficient layering too.

A template engine isnt a framework a template engine is a php application that simplifies output for your code by putting it into template files stored and parses them dynamically or statically when run.

A MVC Framework is a php application that is designed to run and develop php applications, doing a few things simply put it makes the development phase must must faster.

A template engine is something no developer can live without ( unless they want to make live hard on themselves ).

A Framework is something a developer can go years without me personally I don't use frameworks unless its required at my job, frameworks are more of a preference. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.