I can pass a value from a form using a Get method, how to do the same using hype

kee2ka4

Hi peeps,

I am currently querying a database that displays results on the search.php from index.php. I have a form that uses the "Get" Method and saves the value in "q". Here is my form code:

<form method="get" action="search.php">
      <input id="mainSearchInput" type="text" value="" size="40" name="q"/>
      <input size="40" value="Search" type="submit" />
</form>

On presses the "SEARCH", the controller file saves the value of q and queries the database. Here is the php code:

case 'search':

$q = $_GET['q'];
  $results = find_ad($q);

break;

Above code, runs the find_ad($q) function and saves the value in $results and loads the search.php page.

The above works fine and my question is I would also like to pass the value of q using a hyperlink. So for example if I have the following:

<a href="search.php?q=<?php echo $cat['name'] ?>">

, how can I save the value of "q" from the link to the variable $q in the controller file.

Just to be more clear, the get method from the form saves the value of q into variable $q via $q = $GET['q'], my question is if someone clicks the hyperlink how can I save the value of q into the same variable $q.

Can someone plz guide me, I hope I am making sense.

Thanks,

Zub

dude i am totally baffled, you are not making sense to me at all. Firstly why do you want to put it into a hyperlink?

Can you also provide us with the code for find_ad() function, maybe it will make more sense.

I do not understand why you cannot insert the value into a hyperlink whereas you already have the value.

Ok I will explain, I am trying to query the database using two options:

1. Search Form, where users can type in a keyword and the function find_ad($q) queries the database and returns a result in form of an array

2. Search Tags, that are hyperlinked. So what I want is clicking on the hyperlinks again runs the fucntion find_ad($q).

The user an use "Any" of the two options. Here is my code of function find_ad($q)

function find_ad($query_str = null)
{
  db_connect();
  $select = "SELECT
   				advertdy.id,
   				advertdy.title,
   				advertdy.description,
   				advertdy.price,
   				advertdy.location, ";
   $from = "FROM
   				advertdy ";

$where = "WHERE 
   			advertdy.id > 0 AND advertdy.delete_flag = 0 ";

$order = " ORDER BY advertdy.id DESC";
   if (!empty($query_str))
   {
   		$select .= sprintf("
				match(ad_ID,title,description,location)
				against('%s' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
				as relevance ",
				mysql_real_escape_string($query_str)
				);
		$where .= sprintf("
				AND match(ad_ID,title,location,description) against('%s' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ", 
				mysql_real_escape_string($query_str)
				);
		$order = " ORDER BY relevance DESC";

}

$query = $select.$from.$where.$order;
   $result = mysql_query($query);
   $result = db_result_to_array($result);
   return $result;

}

I wanted to know how to pass the value of the search tags (as in the name) into $q variable. So for example if the search tag name is "Test", how do I pass it to the variable $q. My question is related to option 2, how to passes the hyperlink tag name into the function find_ad($q);

Thanks,

Zub

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.