link color to show update

Sideclef

If I say added an update and I have an updates page on my site. How would I go about setting something up to make the link change until the user clicked the link. I want this to only occur once for just that link  but I also would like to set up some sort of function to call to when might need it again. Would this call for a table or would this be straight code to do this?

Any one have any ideas?? I am not asking for someone to write a code just to help stear me in the right direction so that I can do some research on it I have goolged it but I cant seem to find what I am looking for. If you could just give me the functions name or the relative functions name I would appreciate it

Is the link just for the user? if not then how long dose the link stay on the site for. e.g. if the user comes back x days later will the link still be valid? if the answer is yes and the user has already read the link then I can see no other way, unless you store that the link has been read some where, user cookie? I would guess that the only way would be store the responce in a table.

Yeah I was wanting it to stay the highlighted color until clicked. Wither it be days or even months. I guess I could write a script to update the table each time I do it.  That wouldn't be so hard I guess. Its basically to show that something new has been added. If I make an update say a few days later and the user hasn't clicked the link I guess it wouldn't really matter if it was for the prior update or not it would still be new. Thanks hun much appreciated

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.