[SOLVED] Best way to create this table (awards)

xoligy

Ok im going to try and code an awards page and im working on the mysql table for now but im unsure of the best way to do it. The way that im thinking of at the moment us as follows:

id - username - sup1 - sup2 - sup3 - fre1 - fre2 - fre3 - kil1 - kil2 - kil3

where 1-3 are ranks 1st to 3rd so if playerA win sup1 and kil1 he gets a 1 in them boxes if at a later date he wins sup1 and then kil3 sup 1 would be 2 and kil1&3 would be 1

Would you say thats the best way to do it? or can you think of another?

If you expect there might be more awards i nfuture, then you should plan your database, so that adding new awards is easy.

You will need three tables

table users
userID, username

table awards
awardID,awardName

table users_awards
userID, awardID, count

Also create primary key in users_awards table on userID and awardID

So if you want award player 1 with award 1 you do

INSERT INTO users_awards VALUES (1,1,1) ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE count = count + 1

hmm... going to have to think about this more tomorrow im tired now. but the way i was thinking was just one table with all the info in it for awards then i would query just the userid/name which would return the rewards for that user, the way your suggesting i would need to do a union or join yes? im not that smart lol ive done one of them so far and i only got that working by changing the query from "=" to ">"

like i said i'll think about it more when im not as tired and have a smarter head on me lol

Yes i  see that now yesterday i was really tired lol. I was going to write back earlier but went the shop instead, and thinking about it i think my way would be better as its going to keep the db more compact say the player gets 6 awards in total over x time thats 6 inserts with 6 records my way its just 1 record for the whole thing this is my result:

id - username - award1 - award2 - award3 - award4 - award5 - award6

1 - xoligy - 3 -0 -1 - 0- 1 - 1

this would be yours

id - award -  count (id is username in this)

1 1 3

1 2 1

1 5 1

1 6 1

to me mine seems simpler and easier to understand lol

Easier to understand? Sure

Simpler? Maybe

More compact? No. (though it may seem so at first)

Easier to add new awards in the future? Hell no!

It's up to you really. If you don't expect any new awards to be added later, then your approach will work fine. If on the other hand, there will be more awards added later, you'll have hell of a time doing it. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.