[SOLVED] Update textbox value with php

hlstriker

I'm trying to update a textbox value with php but it's just giving errors.

Here is the code I'm using:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Form test</title>

<script language="JavaScript">
	function UpdateTextBox(percent)
	{
		document.getElementById("test").value = percent;
	}
</script>
</head>

<body>

<form>
<input type="text" id="test" name="test" value="Null" onclick="UpdateTextBox('Testing')" />
</form>

</body>
</html>

<?php
for($i=0;$i<9999;$i++)
{
	// Update textbox with value $i
	UpdateTextBox('$i');
}
?>

The error is:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function updatetextbox() in C:\xampp\htdocs\formtest.php on line 27

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Well, yes.  You can have a form where you enter in the value, and click a submit button, and use php to populate the textbox with that data, but that's not really "real time." Suppose it depends on what your goals are. If you want something "real time," then you need to stick with javascript, because php is parsed on the server.

The problem is in your very last lines of code.  You are trying to execute a javascript function within php.

<?php
for($i=0;$i<9999;$i++)
{
    // Update textbox with value $i
    ?>
         <script language="javascript">UpdateTextBox('<?php echo $i; ?>')</script>
    <?php
}
?>

No clue why you're trying to do it like this, but this should make it work....all 9999 times LOL

no...javascript does not get executed on the server.  You cannot put javascript inside a php loop and expect the javascript to be run.  That's not how it works.  Did you read the error he posted?

Fatal error: Call to undefined function updatetextbox() in C:\xampp\htdocs\formtest.php on line 27

It means javascript got to the line of code where it's calling updatetexbox and it can't find it. 

CroNiXs code actually works because it's writing a new javascript line as the loop is going. I only wanted to loop 9999 times to see if I could watch the textbox get updated in real time. The result was the textbox updating but so many javascript lines were being executed that the textbox number was lagging behind and sometimes locked the browser up.

Thanks for the help everyone.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.