Query not returrning accurate number of occurrences

coffejor

Hello All,

I have a mySQL query that is created by my php search engine, this query is then used to select the appropriate data.  The sql that my search engine outputs when I search for "test classified ads" and after passing through the stemmer algorithm and removing stop words & symbols is:

SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(*) AS occurrences, sdescription, description, location FROM ads WHERE (( sdescription LIKE '%test%' OR description LIKE '%test%' OR location LIKE '%test%') OR( sdescription LIKE '%classified%' OR description LIKE '%classified%' OR location LIKE '%classified%') OR( sdescription LIKE '%ad%' OR description LIKE '%ad%' OR location LIKE '%ad%')) GROUP BY id ORDER BY occurrences DESC 

All of this seems to be working fine, but the problem is in how many occurrences of search terms the mySQL database returns.  For a test I created the following examples in the database:

id memberid category sdescription description location price
1 123 avionics Bendix King Radio Bendix KX-99 NAV/COM with power adapter and intercom pigtails Fake Town, CA 500.00
2 456 parts This is a test This classified is a test, this is only a test Fake City, MD 150.00
3 789 parts This is also a test classified ad Though this test classified ad has more matching terms like test, classified, and ad Fake County, WI 325.00

I would expect it to order the results as row 3 (9 occurrences), row 2 (4 occurrences), and row 1 (0 occurrences), instead my database returns that each has 1 occurrence.  I'm stumped as to why this may be, I think that I have the syntax correct for the mySQL query, but fear that I don't.

Any and all advice and insight is very greatly appreciated.

~Jordan

Ok, I was thinking this over again but maybe my thought logic is flawed.  Wouldn't the query return a result each time it runs into a matching term and therefor when I count the distinct occurrences, it would realize that there were more occurrences of the search terms in certain results?

~Jordan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.