[SOLVED] SORT by DESC... but display in reverse?

jewofcanada

What I'm trying to do is create a mini-schedule on my website. It has a list of 7 games. The first 3 are recent games, the next 4 are upcoming games. They're two different queries, so all we need to worry about are the top 3, the recent games.

The easiest way to explain this as follows. Let's say I have 7 games in the schedule:

-- ^^ these three have been played... the next 4 are upcoming

So then the date passes for game 4, the table should look like this:

-- ^^ these three have been played... the next 4 are upcoming

if I use ORDER BY ASC LIMIT 3, it will ALWAYS just show the 1 - 2 - 3... if I use ORDER BY DESC, it will display the 3 games that i want (3-2-1, or 4-3-2, 5-4-3, etc), but in reverse order.

How can I make it display 1-2-3, then 2-3-4, 3-4-5, etc.

After some research I found a method of doing it... for those interested:

//count how many games have passed
$total_gp=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM calendar WHERE ev_dat<='$today' ORDER BY ev_dat ASC");
$total_gp=mysql_num_rows($total_gp);
//set the start point... because I want to display 3, i subtract 3 from the total
$start_point=($total_gp - 3);
// using LIMIT x,y  -- set x to $start_point, y to 3 and viola.
$sql=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM calendar WHERE ev_dat<='$today' ORDER BY ev_dat ASC LIMIT $start_point,3");

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.