Update query question

acctman

looks like i'm going to have to do this the hard way, by posting multiple questions to get this done. From what i'm reading its taking all the from post that have add in them and Updating it into the database. my question is, what if the entry / value doesn't exist in the table already will it perform an insert?

foreach ($_POST['add'] as $key => $value)

mysql_query("UPDATE $membtable SET m_".$key."='".sql_escape_string(stripslashes($value))."' WHERE m_id=$id");

I don't understand your question.  Are you asking if you can INSERT a new ROW if it doesn't exist or UPDATE it if it does?  If so, then what I linked would do it

What do you mean by "entry/value" ?  Do you mean a field name or do you mean the data?

I don't understand your question.  Are you asking if you can INSERT a new ROW if it doesn't exist or UPDATE it if it does?  If so, then what I linked would do it

What do you mean by "entry/value" ?  Do you mean a field name or do you mean the data?

if i don't change the coding below, will a blank field be updated with the form value?

foreach ($_POST['add'] as $key => $value)

mysql_query("UPDATE $membtable SET m_".$key."='".sql_escape_string(stripslashes($value))."' WHERE m_id=$id");

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.