[SOLVED] Probably simple question about dates.

RedMist

Backup your database; add a new DATE type column to the table; populate it with the equivalent date values from the existing data in the three columns; modify the query that inserts into the three columns to use a mysql STR_TO_DATE() function to put the same data into the new DATE type column; modify any query that retrieves from the three columns to use a mysql DATE_FORMAT() function to retrieve from the DATE type column in any format you want; test everything; delete the three smallint columns. To populate the new DATE type column from the existing data, use the mysql STR_TO_DATE() function in a simple UPDATE query.

Backup your database; add a new DATE type column to the table; populate it with the equivalent date values from the existing data in the three columns; modify the query that inserts into the three columns to use a mysql STR_TO_DATE() function to put the same data into the new DATE type column; modify any query that retrieves from the three columns to use a mysql DATE_FORMAT() function to retrieve from the DATE type column in any format you want; test everything; delete the three smallint columns. To populate the new DATE type column from the existing data, use the mysql STR_TO_DATE() function in a simple UPDATE query.

cmon man it requires about a 10,000 records to make a 5 sec difference in processing and its numerical so it will be quick, rember were XP developers in web apps that are comercial

This could be done in a query with the existing scheme, but it will be slow as the two columns (I guess the day is not include) need to be retrieved from every row in the table and compared. A DATE type only requires that a single value be compared. Doing this in some slow parsed/tokenized/interpreted php code will be even slower.

It is always better to fix underlying problems as early as possible. Using a DATE type will also allow you to use 20-30 mysql date functions that will make doing everything with this date easier.

Fixing this problem will result in a simple WHERE clause in the query to get the data  -

... WHERE the_date_column >= CURDATE() - INTERVAL 6 MONTH

I didn't want to show what i've tried already, because I thought there might be a better way, but I was trying something like htis.....

SELECT *

FROM stats

WHERE DATE(CONCAT('01', '-', month, '-', year)) > datesub(curdate(), interval 6 month)

But obviously it doesn;t work, and I could not get it to...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.