How does Copyscape.com work?

virruss

Hi,

I'm trying to develop a little application similar to copyscape (I guess). I need to automatically check if an article is original or not... in order to avoid publishing it (almost in real time... at publishing time), after pressing the "Publish" button...

I need to do this because I allow people to write articles on my website.

My idea is to do something like this: when they press the publish button, the script performs a check (like copyscape.com) and, if any results are found, it stops the article from going online.

If you know some Copyscape APIs doing this, please let me know (just to save some time and work).

I'm trying to do this using Google API... but I'm not sure how to perform the searches... the easiest way would be to perform a search after the whole article, in quotes... but many publishers won't publish the exact same article... and Copyscape does a pretty good job determining what are the stolen parts of an article... Any idea of how does it work?

Thank you in advance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.