Cordinating PHP with MySQL

I just installed PHP which is working when i tested it with a simple <?php echo "hello world" ?> and then phpinfo(). But, when I try running phpMyAdmin I get this error

Cannot load mysql extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation

History: I have never set up PHP, MySQL, or phpMyAdmin by myself before this time. I just barely installed PHP (which does work) and our MySQL guy installed the MySQL on the sandbox server for us to mess with. I don't know much about this whole installation thing or php.ini settings, I'm relatively new to PHP also.

The sandbox server in question is running:

• Windows XP Pro.  Version 2002
  • Microsoft-IIS/5.1
  • ISAPI
  • MySQL Server 5.0
  • PHP 5.2.6
  • attempting phpMyAdmin 3.0

Here is the layout:

C:\PHP          //PHP installation and location of php.ini

C:\PHP\ext          //my extensions

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot          //the www root folder

umm, I think these are the relevant settings (in order of appearance):

Configuration File (php.ini) Path C:\WINDOWS

Loaded Configuration File C:\PHP\php.ini

extension_dir C:\PHP\ext

lib C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Lib\;C:\Program Files\SQLXML 4.0\bin\

PHPRC C:\PHP

Path       C:\PHP;.....................a bunch of other stuff.......;C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin;......................

I also have these two extensions un-commented:

extension=php_mysql.dll

extension=php_mysqli.dll

Like I said, I don't know much about this, first timer. Any input is appreciated since I'm not finding much relevant documentation online. Like, I find people with the same error message but their solution doesn't work for me (though I think I've gotten closer).

Oh, btw, I do restart the server every time I make a ini or environment change.

I did a big no no and I've already posted this in the MySQL board but I've rethought the problem and it seems more fitting to be on this board. *if your an admin, please don't lock this thread, lock my other one please*

Thanks...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.