Form Validation Help

dfowler

Hey guys, I created a form awhile ago that I have had to update.  Now I need to modify my validation to work correctly and i'm not sure how to do that.  Here is the form istelf:

<form action="step2.php" method="post">
		<table>
			<tr>
				<td class="form">First Name: </td>
			   	<td id="f_name_field"><input name="billTo_firstName" type="text" class="formInput" id="f_name" onBlur="showRequired('f_name');" /></td>
				<td><div id="f_name_message"></div></td>
			</tr>
			<tr>
				<td class="form">Last Name: </td>
			   	<td id="l_name_field"><input name="billTo_lastName" type="text" class="formInput" id="l_name" onBlur="showRequired('l_name');" /></td>
				<td><div id="l_name_message"></div></td>
			</tr>
			<tr>
				<td class="form">Phone: </td>
				<td id="phone_field"><input name="billTo_phoneNumber" type="text" class="formInput" id="phone" onBlur="showRequired('phone');" maxlength="12" /></td>
				<td><div id="phone_message"></div></td>
			</tr>
			<tr>
				<td class="form">Email: </td>
			   	<td id="email_field"><input name="billTo_email" type="text" class="formInput" id="email" onBlur="showRequired('email');" /></td>
				<td><div id="email_message"></div></td>
			</tr>
			<tr>
				<td class="form">Company: </td>
			   	<td><input name="billTo_company" type="text" class="formInput" id="billTo_company" /></td>
			</tr>
			<tr>
				<td colspan="2" class="form" style="text-align:right;">
					<input type="checkbox" name="terms" id="terms" value="1" onClick="showRequired('terms');" /> I agree to the Terms and Conditions					</td>
		   	</tr>
			<tr>
				<td> </td>
				<td><input name='submit' type='image' id='submit' value='' src='images/butTest.gif' onClick='return validateForm();' /></td>
				<td> </td>
			</tr>
		</table>
	</form>

Here is the javascript:

function showRequired(value_1) {
inameValue = document.getElementById(value_1).value;

if (value_1 == "phone") {
	var returnval=inameValue.search(/\d{3}\-\d{3}\-\d{4}/);
	if(returnval==-1) {
		newImage="url(images/false.gif)";
		document.getElementById(value_1+'_field').style.backgroundImage=newImage;
		document.getElementById(value_1+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='false'>Please enter a number in this format: 555-555-5555.</span>";
	} else {
		newImage="url(images/true.gif)";
		document.getElementById(value_1+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='true'>Ok!</span>";
	}
} else if (value_1 == "email") {
	var emailfilter=/^\w+[\+\.\w-]*@([\w-]+\.)*\w+[\w-]*\.([a-z]{2,4}|\d+)$/i
	var returnval=emailfilter.test(inameValue);
	if (returnval==false) {
		document.getElementById(value_1+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='false'>Please use a correct email format.</span>";
	} else {
		document.getElementById(value_1+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='true'>Ok!</span>";
	}
} else {
	if(inameValue=="") {
		document.getElementById(value_1+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='false'>Please complete all fields.</span>";
	} else {
		var regularexpression = new RegExp("[^A-Za-z]");
		var returnval=regularexpression.test(inameValue);
		if (returnval==true) {
			document.getElementById(value_1+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='false'>Only letters allowed.</span>";
		} else {
		}
	}
} 
}

function validateForm(){
errors=0;
for(var i=0;i<=document.form.length-3;i++) { //only the required fields
	elmID=document.form.elements[i].id;
        	elmValue = document.form.elements[i].value;
	if(elmValue=="") {
		document.getElementById(elmID+'_field').style.backgroundImage=newImage;
		document.getElementById(elmID+'_message').innerHTML =  "<span class='false'>Please complete all fields.</span>";
		errors++;
	} else {
		if (elmID == "f_name" || elmID == "l_name") {
			var regularexpression = new RegExp("[^A-Za-z]");
			var returnval=regularexpression.test(elmValue);
			if (returnval==true) {
				document.getElementById(elmID+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='false'>Only letters allowed.</span>";
			} else {
				document.getElementById(elmID+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='true'>Ok!</span>";
			}
		}
	}
	if (elmID=="email") {
		var emailfilter=/^\w+[\+\.\w-]*@([\w-]+\.)*\w+[\w-]*\.([a-z]{2,4}|\d+)$/i
		var returnval=emailfilter.test(elmValue)
		if (returnval==false) {
			document.getElementById(elmID+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='false'>Please use a correct email format.</span>";
			errors++;
		} else {
			document.getElementById(elmID+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='true'>Ok!</span>";
		}
	}
	if (elmID=="phone") {
		var returnval=elmValue.search(/\d{3}\-\d{3}\-\d{4}/);
		if(returnval==-1) {
			document.getElementById(elmID+'_message').innerHTML = "<span class='false'>Please enter a number in this format: 555-555-5555.</span>";
			errors++;
		} else {
		}
	}
}
    if(!errors) {
	return true;
} else {
	return false;
}
}

Here are my new problems.  The submit button has changed to an image, and it seems the onClick validation no longer works.  Also, I need to modify the first name and last name fields to allow a single - or a signle '.  Does anybody know how to include this as well.  Thanks for any help!

Ok, I modified the RegExp field and it is now: RegExp("[^A-Za-z'-]")

The problem is that this is allowing unlimited ' and -.  I am trying to figure out how to only check for 1 max of each in the fields.  I still can't figure out why the onClick validation isn't working either.

Sorry, I'm not really a JavaScript hero, but I just want to remind you to not use JavaScript only for validation; ALWAYS use server-side validation and then you can additionally use JavaScript apart from that. Maybe you know this, but just making sure as it's very important. ;)

Sorry, I'm not really a JavaScript hero, but I just want to remind you to not use JavaScript only for validation; ALWAYS use server-side validation and then you can additionally use JavaScript apart from that. Maybe you know this, but just making sure as it's very important. ;)

Oh yeah, this form will be validated again upon submission.  Basically the form will be validated 3 times.  Once while the user is filling out the form, once when they hit submit, and a final time after it has been submitted.  Still can't get the onClick to work.  It worked fine when it was:

<input type="submit" onClick="return validateForm()" />

Now that it is an image it doesn't work at all.....

Still working with this.  I tried modifying the code a little, but didn't have any luck so I went back to where I was at the beginning.  I don't understand how just changing

<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" value="Submit" onClick="return validateForm();" />

to:

<input type="image" name="submit" id=submit" src="submit.gif" onClick="return validateForm();" />

could break everything.  Still not sure how to only check for one ' or - either.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.