Help fixing errors.

Lucuis

Hi again everyone. 

Alright, so i have followed the "PHP Basic Database Handling" tutorial on this site.  And i've run into a problem.  I've got 4 Notices, and 1 Fatal Error.  Which i think are all related.

NOTE:  I did not copy/paste, i sat and typed out every bit of it in an attempt to learn.  For those that have seen my previous threads should be proud :)

Notice: Undefined index: name in /var/www/html/FatalIndustries/database.php on line 9

Notice: Undefined index: cname in /var/www/html/FatalIndustries/database.php on line 17

Notice: Undefined index: name in /var/www/html/FatalIndustries/database.php on line 29

Notice: Undefined index: orderby in /var/www/html/FatalIndustries/database.php on line 37

Fatal error: SQL in /var/www/html/FatalIndustries/database.php on line 50

My question is how do i go about defining those indexes? 

Here's what i got.  I'm guessing it's something the tutorial assumed i would add, or change to fit my database. 

<?php
// error reporting
ini_set('display_errors','On');
error_reporting(E_ALL);
// connect to DB
$conn = mysql_connect('localhost','FatalIndustries','*********') or trigger_error("SQL", E_USER_ERROR);
$db = mysql_select_db('FatalIndustries',$conn) or trigger_error("SQL", E_USER_ERROR);
// INSERT: if we have a name to add
if($_POST['name']) {
// little bit of cleaning
$name = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['name']);
// insert new name into table
$sql = "INSERT INTO info (id, name) VALUES ('','$name')";
$result = mysql_query($sql, $conn) or trigger_error("SQL", E_USER_ERROR);
} // end if
// UPDATE: if we have name(s) to change
if ($_POST['cname']) {
// for each name to change
foreach($_POST['cname'] as $cid => $cname) {
	$id = mysql_real_escape_string($cid);
	$name = mysql_real_escape_string($cname);
	// update name in the table
	$sql = "UPDATE info SET name = '$name' WHERE id = '$id'";
} // end of foreach
} // end if
// DELETE: if we have a name to delete
if ($_GET['name']) {
$name = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['name']);
// delete name from table
$sql = "DELETE FROM info WHERE name = '$name'";
} // end if
// ORDER BY: if one of the links was clicked
if ($_GET['orderby']) {
// make an array of allowed names
$allowed = array('id','name');
// bit of cleaning
$order = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['orderby']);
// is it a valid column name? yes: use it. no: default to 'id'
$order = (in_array($order, $allowed))? $order : "id";
// if no link clicked, default to 'id'
} else {
$order = "id";
} // end else
// SELECT: get the list of names from the database
$sql = "SELECT id, name FROM info ORDER BY $order";
/**** end deal with the database ****/

/**** list everything out ****/
// list columns
echo <<<LISTCOLS
<form action = '{$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']}' method = 'post'>
<table border = '1'>
<tr>
	<td><a href = '{$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']}?oderby=id'>id</td>
	<td><a href = '{$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']}?oderby=name'>name</td>
	<td>delete</td>
</tr>
LISTCOLS;
// loop through the list of names
while ($list = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
echo <<<LISTINFO
<tr>
	<td>{$list['id']}</td>
	<td><input type = 'text' name = 'cname[{$list['id']}]
	<td><a href = '{$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']}?name={$list['name']}'>delete</a></td>
</tr>
LISTINFO;
} // end while
// list input box for adding new entry
echo <<<NEWENTRY
<tr>
	<td bgcolor = 'gray'></td>
	<td><input type = 'text' name = 'name'></td>
	<td bgcolor = 'gray'></td>
</tr><tr>
	<td></td>
	<td align = 'center'>
<input type = 'submit' value = 'submit'></td>
	<td></td>
</tr>
</table>
</form>
NEWENTRY;
/**** end list everything out ****/

?>

forget about the indexes notice (they're just notice to help debugging, not error).

What do you have in /var/www/html/FatalIndustries/database.php on line 50 ?

Line 50

You should consider echoing your query to the browser.  I always set up a debug boolean at the top that turn on and off debug mode.  If on, every query is echoed to the browser and I can see what the problem is.

How would i go about doing that?  I don't remember coming across that in the tutorials i've read thus far.

I'm not sure where to put echo $sql but i put it one line before the Fatal Error.

the last notice changed to this.

Notice: Undefined index: orderby in /var/www/html/FatalIndustries/database.php on line 37

SELECT id, name FROM info ORDER BY id

Now try putting that "SELECT id, name FROM info ORDER BY id" into your database manager query window and adjust it until it works.  I'm guessing one of those columns is a key word which you will need to surround with ``.

BTW: while you are learning, you should start most of your queries inside of your database manager, make sure they work first, then input them into your code.  Once you learn php error handling, which you can find in the manual just search on google for php error handling, then it will be easier for you to write sql in your code on the fly.

Now try putting that "SELECT id, name FROM info ORDER BY id" into your database manager query window and adjust it until it works.  I'm guessing one of those columns is a key word which you will need to surround with ``.

You lost me there, lol.  I don't think i have a database manager query window.  Unless you mean the Terminal where i created the database using mysql.

I have a question.  When i was following the old tutorial, everything worked up until i tried adding in sessions/logins etc.  The database managing, editing tables etc worked fine.  So far as i know.  Would it be ok to use that code, since it's the old stuff, and then continue fresh from there?  Or would the older could inevitably conflict somewhere further on?

Yes, the terminal window.  This looks like a valid sql statement to me so I am assuming that some of the columns like "id" and "name" and possibly the tablename "info" may be reserved words in mysql so require must be quoted with ``.

I have a question.  When i was following the old tutorial, everything worked up until i tried adding in sessions/logins etc.  The database managing, editing tables etc worked fine.  So far as i know.  Would it be ok to use that code, since it's the old stuff, and then continue fresh from there?  Or would the older could inevitably conflict somewhere further on?

It's certainly worth looking at if you want to.  I would preserve this script you have here by renaming it to something like file.php.bak and then make the other the primary file for the time being and see if you can get that one working.  But eventually you're going to want to stick with something.

Yes, the terminal window.  This looks like a valid sql statement to me so I am assuming that some of the columns like "id" and "name" and possibly the tablename "info" may be reserved words in mysql so require must be quoted with ``.

Ok i did and got this.

ERROR 1146 (42S02): Table 'FatalIndustries.info' doesn't exist

I know the table FatalIndustries exists.  Not sure what the suffix is though ift isn't .info.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.