[SOLVED] Updating db with a button

Lee-Bartlett

Lee-Bartlett:

<?php
echo <form action="'.basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']).'" method="POST">
echo '<input type="hidden" name="id" value="' . $row['id'] . '">';
echo "<td> <input type=\"submit\" value=\"update\" name=\"updatebutton\" > </td>" 
echo "<td> <input type=\"submit\" value=\"update\" name=\"updatebutton\" > </td>"
echo "<td><input type=\"submit\" value=\"delete\" name=\"deletebutton\" > </td>"
echo "</form></td>"
echo "</tr>"

CroNiX:

Your syntax is all messed up.  You are missing quotes and semicolons everywhere...

like your first echo doesn't start or end with a quote....you don't have a semicolon after each statement...

Is this more cleaned up ?

<?php 
echo "<form action="'.basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']).'" method="POST">"; (this is line 57)
echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"id\" value=\" . $row['id'] . \">";
echo "<td> <input type=\"submit\" value=\"update\" name=\"updatebutton\" > </td>"; 
echo "<td> <input type=\"submit\" value=\"update\" name=\"updatebutton\" > </td>";
echo "<td><input type=\"submit\" value=\"delete\" name=\"deletebutton\" > </td>";
echo "</form></td>";
echo "</tr>";
?>

error message im getting is

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/nexodom/public_html/website/admin/du.php on line 57

Mostly cleaned up :)

This:

echo "<form action="'.basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']).'" method="POST">"; (this is line 57)

should be:

echo "<form action=\"".basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'])."\" method="POST">"; //some single quotes in there messing it up

Now i got

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/nexodom/public_html/website/admin/du.php on line 58

maybe i should chaqnge that line all together?

its this line here

echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"id\" value=\" . $row['id'] . \">";

The problem is in this part:

value=\" . $row['id'] . \">";

You escaped the quote but didn't add an end quote here: value=\"

And same thing here, you didn't start the quote and then escape a quote, you just escaped a quote: $row['id'] . \">";

much simpler to do:

[echo '<input type="hidden" name="id" value="' . $row['id'] . '">';

or even better, do it in html and then add the php where you need it.  You are confusing yourself.

?> (end the php)
<input type="hidden" name="id" value="<?php echo $row['id']; ?>">
<?php //...continue php code

If i do it in html, how do i get it to automatically enter all these submit buttons so when a new entry is put in, there is one in that row to.

now im getting this error message, Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/nexodom/public_html/website/admin/du.php on line 58

i cant see these ending. How would you add an update button to a echoed database? so when i click that button, it pulls the data from the row it is and alows me to update it on my update page

Now that you've gone through all of that, let me say it would be easier to use a link instead of a form :)

If you replaced the whole form thing we were just working on with something like:

echo '<a href="http://mysite.com/process.php?action=update&id=' . $row['id'] . '">Update</a>';
echo " &nbsp";
echo '<a href="http://mysite.com/process.php?action=delete&id=' . $row['id'] . '">Delete</a>';

Obviously process.php should be changed to your script name.

Then in your process.php:

$action = isset($_GET['action']) ? $_GET['action'] : "";
$id = isset($_GET['id']) ? $_GET['id'] : "";

if(!empty($action) && !empty($id))  //check to see if $action and $id have values
{
    switch($action)
    {
        case "update":
            //grab the data from the db using the $id, create a form and populate the form 'values' with the data;
            //then when you submit the form have it 'UPDATE' the database where the id=$id
            break;
        case "delete":
            //prompt if user is sure they want to delete
            //then just DELETE it from the database using WHERE id=$id
            break;
    }
}

Those are the basics, I don't want to write it all out...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.