Need Advice - Should I Create my own Blog Comment Posting System using PhP?

vozzek

PhP-brothers,

I consider myself a better-than-average web programmer. I've designed and promoted a half dozen PhP-based websites that rank fairly well. I'm SEO proficient, and pretty good with visual design.

I'm about to finally create a blog. Of course I'm going to create my own site from scratch rather than use typepad or blogspot or any pre-fab blog editor. But one of the aspects I've never encountered when designing websites is the ability for people to leave and post comments.

I know there are systems that allow for easy comment posting, approval of posts, etc... but I don't know anything about them. Which one(s) are good? Are they easy to integrate into an existing custom-made site?

I considered writing my own PhP/database-based comment system, and that might still be an option. But if there were an easy way to just slide this type of feature into my blog, that would leave me a lot more time to concentrate on blog content and give me one less thing to worry about maintenance-wise.

What do you all think? What do you all use? I'm open to your suggestions and thanks in advance.

I say write one from scratch, they aren't extremely difficult to code correctly, and then you can add the features that you want. Avoid the cookie-cutter designs as much as possible and have something that again is just "yours."

Anything I've personally incorporated into a site from a pre-made system has been more hassle than it's worth and I usually end up recoding half of it anyway, but I have not had personal experience with pre-made comment systems.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.