[SOLVED] Some misunderstandings within my code?

Twister1004

Hey guys, I really like this forum, seems like it will be a lot of help to me, as a new coder.

However, I am getting an error within my script. Before I show you the script, I would like to tell you what I am trying to do.

Objective: I am trying to get the person registered as like a normal script, however, as well when they register, I am making a profile page for them as well. (Still coding it so it's not working.) So what I am trying to do is get the person registered, then get the information just entered to go into another table along with their account id.

My problem: While I do this, I am getting an "Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'accountid' at row 1"

accountid is a column within the table accounts. There is also another spot in the table profile for accountid as well.

Conclusion: So basically this should make more since. I'm trying to take the accountid from the account newly created row from the table accounts to the table profile.

Script:

<?php error_reporting(E_ALL);?>
<html>
<head>
<title>Abysmal Essence | Register - Complete</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php

$user = $_POST['user'];
$name = $_POST['name'];
$pass = $_POST['pass'];
$vpass = $_POST['vpass'];
$email = $_POST['email'];
$dob = $_POST['dob'];

include ("config.php");

$sel = 'SELECT * FROM `accounts` WHERE `username`="' . $_POST['user'] . '"';

//Andy edited here
$result = mysql_query($sel) or die(mysql_error());
$data = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);

if(mysql_num_rows($result) >0)
{
//echo "Username exitsts<br>";
}else{
//echo "Username Aviable<br>";
}

if ($user == "")
{
echo 'Please enter a username.';
exit();
}
elseif (mysql_num_rows(mysql_query($sel)) >= 1)
{
echo 'The username already exists. Please choose another name.<br>';
exit();
}
elseif ($pass == "")
{
echo 'You did not enter a password. Please go back and enter a password.<br>';
exit();
}
elseif ($vpass != $pass)
{
echo 'Your passwords do not match. Please re-enter your password.<br>';
exit();
}
else
{
$con = 'INSERT INTO `accounts` (username, name, password, email, dob) VALUES ("' .
	$user . '", "' . $name . '", "' . $pass . '", "' . $email . '", "' . $dob . '")';
$accountid = mysql_query($account['accountid']);
$account = "SELECT * FROM `accounts` WHERE `accountid` = '$accountid'";
$con2 = 'INSERT INTO `profile` (accountid, about, content, unknown) VALUES ( "'.$accountid.'","Edit me", "Edit me", "Edit me")';
mysql_query($con2) or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query($con) or die(mysql_error());
echo '<center>You have successfully created your account. You can now log in.</center>';
}
?>
<br/><br/>		Your account has been created.<br/> You will be e-mailed on your Login information. Please note: We have to manually send E-mails.<br/>If you are within the team for development, you will be sent an extra ID along with your login information.<br/> More info will be told when E-mails are received.<br/>

<input type='button' value='Home' onclick='parent.window.location.href = "./"' />
</body>
</html>

Now the script I added into this would be this section:

else
{
$con = 'INSERT INTO `accounts` (username, name, password, email, dob) VALUES ("' .
	$user . '", "' . $name . '", "' . $pass . '", "' . $email . '", "' . $dob . '")';
$con2 = 'INSERT INTO `profile` (accountid, about, content, unknown) VALUES ( "'.$accountid.'","Edit me", "Edit me", "Edit me")';
echo '<center>You have successfully created your account. You can now log in.</center>';
}

Any advice or help?

Thank you very much for reading / posting.

Now the script I added into this would be this section:

else
{
}

Any advice or help?

Thank you very much for reading / posting.

Well there are a few problems with that code.

The first

mysql_query returns a result resource and nothing else. result resources cannot be used within queries. In order to get the data returned from a query you'll need to use one of the following functions:

mysql_fetch_(array, assoc or row) or mysql_result

You should use the following code.

// define the query for inserting a new account
    $sql = 'INSERT INTO `accounts` (username, name, password, email, dob) VALUES '.
           '("' . $user . '", "' . $name . '", "' . $pass . '", "' . $email . '", "' . $dob . '")';

// create a new account
    $result = mysql_query($sql);

// check that the query executed successfully
    if($result)
    {
        // now that a new account has been added we'll retrieve the accountid
        $accountid = mysql_insert_id(); // if you're not sure what this function does go to http://php.net/mysql_insert_id

// now create a new profile
        $sql = 'INSERT INTO `profile` (accountid, about, content, unknown) VALUES ( "'.$accountid.'","Edit me", "Edit me", "Edit me")';
        $result = mysql_query($sql);

if($result)
        {
        }
        // unable to create  account profile, kill the script and display an error
        else
            die('Unable to create account profile!<br />MySQL Error: '.mysql_error());
    }
    // unable to create new account kill, the script and display an error
    else
        die('Unable to create a new account!<br />MySQL Error: '.mysql_error());

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.