mysqli.so not getting built, despite being specified.

[NOTE: I'm not sure if this thread should be here or in the Mysql forum; if it needs to be moved, please accept my apology]

I'm trying to build PHP 5.2.6 under a debian system (see the http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,221413.msg1017436.html#msg1017436 topic for a discussion as to why I have to build this from source and not use the debian package system).

Although I'm properly specifying --with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config to configure, and although there are no configure or compile errors, no mysqli.so ends up in my modules subdirectory after the build. I'm puzzled by this, and I'm hoping that someone here might shed some light on this problem.

Here are some specifics:

/usr/bin/mysql_config exists and is properly runnable.

The installed version of the mysql-client, mysql-server, mysql-common, libmysqlclient15-dev, and libmysqlclient15off packages is 5.0.32 for all of them.

The following lines appear during configure:

checking for MySQL support... yes, shared
checking for specified location of the MySQL UNIX socket... no
checking for MySQL UNIX socket location... /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient... yes
checking for MySQLi support... yes
checking whether to enable embedded MySQLi support... no
checking for mysql_set_server_option in -lmysqlclient... yes
checking for mysql_stmt_field_count in -lmysqlclient... yes

The following lines appear during the build (note that some of these lines got split during copy-and-paste from my typescript file):

bin/sh /usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/libtool --silent --preserve-dup-deps --mode=compile gcc  -Iext/mysq
li/ -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/ -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/include -I/usr/
local/src/php-5.2.6/main -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.
6/ext/date/lib -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/imap-2006f/include -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/e
xt/mbstring/oniguruma -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/ext/mbstring/libmbfl -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/ext
/mbstring/libmbfl/mbfl -I/usr/include/mysql -I/usr/include/postgresql -I/usr/include/pspell -I/usr/l
ocal/src/php-5.2.6/TSRM -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/Zend    -I/usr/include -g -O2  -c /usr/local/src/
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli.lo 
/bin/sh /usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/libtool --silent --preserve-dup-deps --mode=compile gcc  -Iext/mysq
li/ -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/ -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/include -I/usr/
local/src/php-5.2.6/main -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.
6/ext/date/lib -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/imap-2006f/include -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/e
xt/mbstring/oniguruma -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/ext/mbstring/libmbfl -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/ext
/mbstring/libmbfl/mbfl -I/usr/include/mysql -I/usr/include/postgresql -I/usr/include/pspell -I/usr/l
ocal/src/php-5.2.6/TSRM -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/Zend    -I/usr/include -g -O2  -c /usr/local/src/
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_api.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_api.lo 
/bin/sh /usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/libtool --silent --preserve-dup-deps --mode=compile gcc  -Iext/mysq
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_prop.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_prop.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_nonapi.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_nonapi.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_fe.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_fe.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_report.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_report.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_repl.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_repl.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_driver.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_driver.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_warning.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_warning.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_exception.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_exception.lo 
ocal/src/php-5.2.6/TSRM -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/Zend    -I/usr/include -g -O2  -c /usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_embedded.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_embedded.lo

The following lines exist in config.log:

configure:59313: checking for MySQL support
configure:59360: checking for specified location of the MySQL UNIX socket
configure:59418: checking for MySQL UNIX socket location
configure:59609: checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient
configure:59628: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/include -g -O2  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/mysql -L/usr/local/ima
p-2006f/lib conftest.c -lmysqlclient  -lcrypt -lpam -lgmp -lfreetype -lpng -lz -ljpeg -ldb-4.4 -lbz2
-lz -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl  -lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto -lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto 1>&5
configure:60526: checking for MySQLi support
configure:60573: checking whether to enable embedded MySQLi support
configure:60724: checking for mysql_set_server_option in -lmysqlclient
configure:60743: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/include -g -O2  -L/usr/lib/mysql -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/mysql
-L/usr/local/imap-2006f/lib -lmysqlclient conftest.c -lmysqlclient  -lcrypt -lpam -lgmp -lfreetype 
-lpng -lz -ljpeg -ldb-4.4 -lbz2 -lz -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl  -lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto -lxml2 -lssl -lcr
ypto -lssl -lcrypto 1>&5
configure:60991: checking for mysql_stmt_field_count in -lmysqlclient
configure:61010: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/include -g -O2  -L/usr/lib/mysql -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/mysql
-L/usr/local/imap-2006f/lib -L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient conftest.c -lmysqlclient  -lcrypt -lpam 
-lgmp -lfreetype -lpng -lz -ljpeg -ldb-4.4 -lbz2 -lz -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl  -lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto 
-lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto -lmysqlclient 1>&5

The mysql.so and mysql.a files do properly get created in the modules subdirectory during the build.

Because mysqli.so doesn't get created in the modules subdirectory, it obviously doesn't get copied to /usr/local/lib/20060613, which is the value of extensions_dir in my php.ini .

I tried the build both with and without --disable-embedded-mysqli, but this doesn't have any effect, either way.

So can anyone think of why mysqli.so doesn't get built under these conditions?

Thanks in advance.

[NOTE: I'm not sure if this thread should be here or in the Mysql forum; if it needs to be moved, please accept my apology]

I'm trying to build PHP 5.2.6 under a debian system (see the http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,221413.msg1017436.html#msg1017436 topic for a discussion as to why I have to build this from source and not use the debian package system).

Although I'm properly specifying --with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config to configure, and although there are no configure or compile errors, no mysqli.so ends up in my modules subdirectory after the build. I'm puzzled by this, and I'm hoping that someone here might shed some light on this problem.

Here are some specifics:

/usr/bin/mysql_config exists and is properly runnable.

The installed version of the mysql-client, mysql-server, mysql-common, libmysqlclient15-dev, and libmysqlclient15off packages is 5.0.32 for all of them.

The following lines appear during configure:

checking for MySQL support... yes, shared
checking for specified location of the MySQL UNIX socket... no
checking for MySQL UNIX socket location... /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient... yes
checking for MySQLi support... yes
checking whether to enable embedded MySQLi support... no
checking for mysql_set_server_option in -lmysqlclient... yes
checking for mysql_stmt_field_count in -lmysqlclient... yes

The following lines appear during the build (note that some of these lines got split during copy-and-paste from my typescript file):

bin/sh /usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/libtool --silent --preserve-dup-deps --mode=compile gcc  -Iext/mysq
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_api.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_api.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_prop.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_prop.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_nonapi.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_nonapi.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_fe.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_fe.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_report.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_report.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_repl.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_repl.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_driver.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_driver.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_warning.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_warning.lo 
php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_exception.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_exception.lo 
ocal/src/php-5.2.6/TSRM -I/usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/Zend    -I/usr/include -g -O2  -c /usr/local/src/php-5.2.6/ext/mysqli/mysqli_embedded.c -o ext/mysqli/mysqli_embedded.lo

The following lines exist in config.log:

configure:59313: checking for MySQL support
configure:59360: checking for specified location of the MySQL UNIX socket
configure:59418: checking for MySQL UNIX socket location
configure:59609: checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient
configure:59628: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/include -g -O2  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/mysql -L/usr/local/ima
p-2006f/lib conftest.c -lmysqlclient  -lcrypt -lpam -lgmp -lfreetype -lpng -lz -ljpeg -ldb-4.4 -lbz2
-lz -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl  -lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto -lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto 1>&5
configure:60526: checking for MySQLi support
configure:60573: checking whether to enable embedded MySQLi support
configure:60724: checking for mysql_set_server_option in -lmysqlclient
configure:60743: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/include -g -O2  -L/usr/lib/mysql -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/mysql
-L/usr/local/imap-2006f/lib -lmysqlclient conftest.c -lmysqlclient  -lcrypt -lpam -lgmp -lfreetype 
-lpng -lz -ljpeg -ldb-4.4 -lbz2 -lz -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl  -lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto -lxml2 -lssl -lcr
ypto -lssl -lcrypto 1>&5
configure:60991: checking for mysql_stmt_field_count in -lmysqlclient
configure:61010: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/include -g -O2  -L/usr/lib/mysql -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/mysql
-L/usr/local/imap-2006f/lib -L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient conftest.c -lmysqlclient  -lcrypt -lpam 
-lgmp -lfreetype -lpng -lz -ljpeg -ldb-4.4 -lbz2 -lz -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl  -lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto 
-lxml2 -lssl -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto -lmysqlclient 1>&5

The mysql.so and mysql.a files do properly get created in the modules subdirectory during the build.

Because mysqli.so doesn't get created in the modules subdirectory, it obviously doesn't get copied to /usr/local/lib/20060613, which is the value of extensions_dir in my php.ini .

I tried the build both with and without --disable-embedded-mysqli, but this doesn't have any effect, either way.

So can anyone think of a reason for why mysqli.so doesn't get built under these conditions?

Thanks in advance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.