Time to learn I guess

AV1611

I have spent the past few years trying to get proficient at PHP. I have gotten to the point where I can do most anything I need to now (albeit the code isn't always pretty :P). I have avoided JS like the plague cause I don't like it.  PHP is much easier to learn IMO.

Anyways, can I get a few suggestions for a complete noob.  I am a quick learner but I am slow to get "traction" in the beginning until the light "clicks" if you know what I mean...

Thanks.

I know exactly what you mean - I'm in the same boat but I only started php a few months ago cos I don't like asp and I needed a quick solution - so WAMP is running alongside Sharepoint and I code in php.  Wish I'd done it years ago!  Looking at js cos I have to really....

Starting with JS can be a bit of a pain in the butt . But here is some hints to get you on your way.

first get firefox with the firebug plugin. it gives friendly error messages to make javascripting a whole lot easier.

after that just do your basic things like if statements for loops etc.

Then you want to look into javascript DOM(Document Object model)

most stuff you see on the web these days relies on DOM

and if you get the hang of that you might wanna look into frameworks such as jQuery,prototype and mootools

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.