query involving LIKE (i think)

Lodius2000

I think this query would involve like

i have a table of image data, captions, credits, img tags, etc that looks like this

$sql = "CREATE TABLE `image` (
  `id` int(10) NOT NULL, //a unique id and contained in the array $photos
  `article_id` int(10) NOT NULL, // values are the same as the article id in another table, and $id (see further down)
  `image_url` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `thumb_url` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL,
  `credit` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL,
  `image_caption` text NOT NULL
)";

in the next code $row['imgorder'] comes from a query to the other table containing article_id, a field that stores the `id` field from the table `image` i have this in there so you can change the order that the photos are displayed so $row['imgorder'] could contain '1,5,2,3,4,6' so that the order you upload a photo is not necessarily the order it is displayed and then i turn it into the array $photos with explode()

$photos = explode(",", $row['imgorder']);

question is how do i retrieve all of the photos in one query from the array

here is what i am thinking

"SELECT img_url, credit, image_caption FROM image WHERE article_id = $id AND id LIKE $photos"

but i think this will only return 1 result, that of $photos[0], i need it to return a nested array so i can do a foreach and place the retrieved column into the webpage, with only 1 query, the other option is to do a foreach on $photos with a query within the foreach that look like

"SELECT img_url, credit, image_caption FROM image WHERE article_id = $photos"

but doing it that way could potentially slow things down quite a bit, with that many queries and all

I use a dba that supports place holders and the like so syntax may be slightly off. and i can put in my own mysql functions

thanks very much

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.