How to write up a Good Terms of Service Page for Freelance Programmers ANY IDEAS

kpetsche20

So the other day, I finished a job for a client, he told me he was happy with the scripts functions, so I went ahead and uploaded all the code to his server.  Now a day after the script is up and running on his server he is telling me the site I made him is a "hack" site, because I re-used the SESSION code and the code on the index page that simply to opens all pages inside the index, from a application that I wrote a few month ago. The code is the same thing so I didn't see any point in re-writing something that already exists.

Anyway he is now telling me he wants his money back because it's not a custom site, I really believe it's a way for him to get the code without paying.  I finished the site in the beginning of September, the site's design was being worked on up until the middle of October, so he not only had plenty of time to look for bugs or tell me he's dissatisfied , he told me that everything was OK just to upload the Forum and Blog and get the script installed.

I now see the importance of having a Terms of Service if you plan on being in business for the "long-term". Does anyone know where I can find or buy pre-made TOS or anyone have idea's on how to write one up? 

I would be willing to share it with any Freelancer that needs it.

You should state clearly, inside your TOS that all products that you deliver are not delivered with a design copyright, only a content copyright.

Re-using code is what every single (good) programmer does. Tell him that if you had to waste your time re-writing code that you already have; that the cost of the website would have been much much higher. Code re-usability is at the very core of the programming industry.

Basically, tell him where to shove it. If the site does what he wanted it to do; then you've done what he asked you to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.