Vbulletin Hooks, Plugins, how are they made?

Imad

We all know that Vbulletin and most forums softwares have plugin system or modules. They use something called Hooks. These hooks reside within the sourcecode to allow added code through a plugin. Does anyone know the best way to create the hook in order to implement whatever is in the plugin file into the file the hook resides? I'm trying to implement a hook system into one of my scripts so my admins can easily create modifications for my system.

Best Regards.

It depends on what your system is/does.  Hooks can be any number of things.  It can be a list of variables that someone can use to get stats for other places or mix and match them for their own features (like, users online, total users, etc...).  It can be for instance, available functions that will allow you to add a new option to a list.  Allowing certain variables to be changed (aesthetically or whatever).  In short, it's more or less like turning your system into a CMS.  But again, it really depends on what your system is/does, as to what's the best way of approaching that.  I believe this is where object oriented programming really shines; you get to abstract certain things away and create interfaces and stuff for other things to "plugin" to them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.