mysql & php, how to filter rows with upcoming date

martez

Hi I have a mysql database that stores upcoming events info. I want to filter records the way that events with past date won't show on the website but only ones that are due to come. Is there any simple mysql command to do it or I have to do some php scripting that would check if given record is past date or not. Any help very appreciated!

Thanks

Marcin

Hi I have a mysql database that stores upcoming events info. I want to filter records the way that events with past date won't show on the website but only ones that are due to come. Is there any simple mysql command to do it or I have to do some php scripting that would check if given record is past date or not. Any help very appreciated!

Thanks

Marcin

$today = date('m-d-y'); // be sure to format the date the same as your date field in the db
$query = "SELECT * FROM events WHERE event_date >= '$today'";

$today = date('m-d-Y');

$query ="SELECT events.*, DATE_FORMAT(event_date, '%m-%d-%Y') as event_date, event_detail.* FROM events LEFT JOIN event_detail ON events.event_id = event_detail.event_id ORDER BY event_date WHERE event_date >= '$today' DESC LIMIT 10";

Indy:

I did it the way you suggested and I get no records. All I changed in the query was adding (WHERE event_date >= '$today') Without that piece of code query runs fine giving me a list of all events.

any ideas what's not working here?

How is your event_date stored normally, without adding DATE_FORMAT(event_date, '%m-%d-%Y')?

What I'd do is change the format of $today to match your date string in the db.

For example, I have a 'news' table with post dates stored as "Y-m-d H:i:s", so using Jan 1, 2008 as my 'today', I ran this...

SELECT * FROM news WHERE postdate >= '2008-01-01 00:00:00';

and it worked like a charm.

Dates are stored in database in Y-m-d format. I changed the query by removing DATE_FORMAT but it still doesn't return me any rows.

$today = date('Y-m-d');

$query ="SELECT events.*, event_detail.* FROM events LEFT JOIN event_detail ON events.event_id = event_detail.event_id ORDER BY event_date WHERE event_date >= '$today' DESC LIMIT 10";

hmmm...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.