[SOLVED] can't get perl scripts to run

bbxrider

i'm running apache 2.2.4,  under winxp pro, been trying to get perl running for a few hours now

i installed perl on a g: drive, g:/usr, with the lastest active perl msi, perl -v runs from the command line

eventually i want to run at least one app, uber upload, that is typically configured to run .pl scripts from the std apache cgi-bin directory.

but for now and to test, i created the hello.cgi script, to run out of a virtual host directory

#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type:text/html\n\n";

print "hello world";

in my .conf i have the directory directives and no other (like to override other dirs at say at htdocs)

<Directory />

Options FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI -Indexes

AllowOverride None

Order deny,allow

Deny from all

Satisfy all

</Directory>

until i got to this point, in my virtual host log, i was getting

-Options ExecCGI is off in this directory: C:/apache2/htdocs/myVirtDir/hello.cgi

but now i'm getting

-client denied by server configuration: C:/apache2/htdocs/myVirtDir/hello.cgi

and i get a 403 forbidden in the browser

can somebody please try to decipher this to help me get a basic script to run and hopefully suggest what i might need to change beyond that to have scripts run out of the std apache cgi-bin directory

and i promise this is the last thing, is it undesireable to be able to have scripts run from other than the std cgi-bin directory?

bob

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.