[SOLVED] Need serious help with this - <option selected value ... Getting wrong value

Beauford

I have been working for over 6 hours on this one stupid thing and for the life of me I just can't figure it out.

I have a simple Select statment and an <option selected, which gets its value from a mysql db. That works and the value is there, but when I click on submit it always sends the value from the first option in the list below the option selected.

<form action='staff_items.php?action=edititemform' method='post'>
<select name='item' type='dropdown'>";
<option selected value='".$itm['cityid']."'>".$itm['cityname']."</option>
while($itm=$db->fetch_row($i)) {
echo "<option value='{$itm['itmid']}'>{$itm['itmname']}</option>";
}
echo "</select><br>

I have echoed the value for $itm['cityid']  and it is correct, but when I submit the form it takes the value from the first option in the list, which happens to have a value of 0 - which is correct - but why is the selected value not being sent and that one is???????

This is just nuts.

Thanks for any input as I have no idea how to solve this.

Resolved. I have no idea why, but for some reason the name I used for the select statement was causing the problem. Soon as I changed it, it worked perfectly.

I did a seach of the entire script and could not find any other instance of this name, so not sure what the problem was with it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.