[SOLVED] Simple question about php

SocomNegotiator

Ok I have a submit button that takes the values entered and enters them into a database...pretty simple. Well if the quantity is not entered I want nothing to be put into the database under that field. However, it is putting a "0" into the field. I even have this code to try and prevent that...

if($amount = ""){
	$amount = "";
}

Also I have the structure of this field set to Null. I had it as Not Null before and the default was zero. I thought by changing that to Null would change it, but it did not. Any suggestions?

First of all, your code will not work. It will always insert empty value, because you're doing an assignment in if() construct instead of comparison.

That's how it's supposed to be.

if($amount == ""){
      $amount = "";
   }

Second thing. How is the field in database defined. Is it INTEGER? Does it allow NULL values?

If you use NULL in your query it should work.

UPDATE table SET column = NULL WHERE id = 1

Ok yes it is an Integer that is set to NULL. I tried $amount == "" and it did not work.

Ok that is for an update...now if I have an INSERT like this

$db->query("INSERT INTO guide_order (item_id, amount, user_id, priority) VALUES ( '$item_id', '$amount', '$user_id', '$num')") or die('Error, query failed');

Now you notice that I have $amount...could I change that to NULL? However, with that if the person enters in an amount I want it put the amount they entered into the database. So I can't use NULL here, because no matter if they left it blank or entered in something they would always get nothing.

The simplest way. Note that I dropped '' around $amount in query

if($amount == "") $amount = "NULL";
$query = "INSERT INTO guide_order (item_id, amount, user_id, priority) VALUES ( '$item_id', $amount, '$user_id', '$num')";

I would do this:

Set the field to allow NULL and set the default value to NULL. Then use this:

<?php
$data = array(
  'item_id' => $item_id,
  'user_id' => $user_id,
  'priority' => $num,
);
if(!empty($amount))
  $data['amount'] = $amount;
$sql = "INSERT INTO `guide_order` (`".implode("`,`",array_keys($data))."`) VALUES ('".implode("','",$data)."')";
$db->query($sql) or die('Error, query failed');
?>

I would do this:

Set the field to allow NULL and set the default value to NULL. Then use this:

<?php
$data = array(
  'item_id' => $item_id,
  'user_id' => $user_id,
  'priority' => $num,
);
if(!empty($amount))
  $data['amount'] = $amount;
$sql = "INSERT INTO `guide_order` (`".implode("`,`",array_keys($data))."`) VALUES ('".implode("','",$data)."')";
$db->query($sql) or die('Error, query failed');
?>

Yeah I need to read up on the whole implode thing. I use arrays, but I don't use them as often as I should.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.