A regex which matches when != to something

eddy556

I need a regular expression which will match ONLY when it doesn't match something.  For example I only don't want it to match when it was compared to the text "please select" and no match all other text.

In this case I am after the opposite of what the regular expression = Please select would match.  I'm after something like != Please select.

I hope you understand!!

Yes but it all has to be within the regex otherwise I would do a simple if(! ...).  This is becuase it is part of a validation control in an asp.net application (yes I know its a bit cheeky asking on here but you guys know your regexes!).  I need the regex to match (revert to true) when it doesn't match a given value.

Not that I know of as the asp validation is meant to check that a peice of input is correct.  For example if something matches an e-mail address it is considered valid - that is when it matches the regex the input is valid.  However I'm trying to check that a user selected something from a drop-down box - hence this time if the regex matches "please select" i need to be returned as invalid.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.