show/hide <div>

true2self

Hi,

I'm wondering if this is even possible. I would like to show a certain <div> section depending on the id of the user. Currently I have the following code for the onclick, but this event needs to happen as soon at the user reaches the page.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">
    <!--
    .lay {
        display: none;
        position: relative;
        }
        -->
</style>
<script>

n = 3; // number of hidden layers
    function show(a){
        for(i=1;i<=n;i++){
            document.getElementById('t'+i).style.display = 'none';
            }
        document.getElementById('t'+a).style.display = 'inline';
        }

</script>
</head>

<body>

<div style="position:absolute">
        <a href="#" onclick="show(1)">section 1</a><br>
            <div id="t1" class="lay">some comment here<br>section 1<br>test </div><br>

<a href="#" onclick="show(2)">section 2</a><br>
            <div id="t2" class="lay">some comment here<br>section 2<br>test</div><br>

<a href="#" onclick="show(3)">section 3</a><br>
            <div id="t3" class="lay">some comment here<br>section 3<br>test</div>
    </div>

</body>
</html>

How do I show a certain section to the user when they arrive at the page? For example, User 1 will only be able to see Section 1; User 2 sees Section 2 and so forth. Can someone please help me out?

**note, this site is in combination with PHP**

Yes, this is a php issue really, because if you do it with css alone, then everybodies data would be available in the source of the page.

When you say: How do I show a certain section to the user when they arrive at the page?, they are served a generated page after they've requested it, never actually arrive. If you see the distinction!

I mean that I have a page with all the sections like I have in the code above. But whenever that user opens the page it will only show a certain section within the page even though all the sections are listed without having to click the link.  I hope i'm clear.

When I do similar for a tree menu and don't want it js based, I'll have the part written by php at the last point (as to override all before), e.g.

<div id="t2" class="lay" style="display:inline;">some comment here<br>section 2<br>test</div>

The js way would to be call a page init script from within the body tag and call the following with:

document.getElementById('t2').style.display = 'inline';

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.