Table Resize help

nemesis.2002

Can't believe I'm asking a table question but here i go. I still use tables for web design. Divs never show up the same in different browsers. So i stick with my trusty tables but I've designed this back ground that is basicly a small dotted line. It's basically 4 pixels of white and then one pixel of black and then it repeats but when i tried putting this in a table when the text expands the cells some of the pixels are lost or simply misplaced.

Is their a way to make the table expand only by a certain amount of pixels if it is going to expand at all? So for example if the text takes up 10 lines i'd like the cell to expand in multiples of 4px only.

<table width="160" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td></td>

<td>much text here</td>

<td></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

<td> </td>

</tr>

</table>

The most efficient way (though not the most reliable) that I can think of to do this would be to use javascript to calculate the width of the table at a given time, rounding it up to increments of four pixels. This will be relatively processor heavy however, and will not work with users who have javascript turned off.

Side note - it's worth the time to learn CSS. Divs do show up the same in different browsers once you know what you are doing, and after you have learned to layout pages using CSS, you will never go back (I speak from experience).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.