automatic download link?

matt9b

I'm selling downloadable products, and accepting payment using paypal. I then manually email the download link to the buyer each time, and then manually change the link every 48 hours. This is to try to prevent the link being abused or mis-used. I know paypal can direct buyers to an after-payment page on my website, but I basically don't want the download link to be the same every time, as this can be distributed.

Is there a way to do this automatically somehow, i.e. provide secure downloads to buyers, for one download only, without me having to send out manual links?

I'm not an advanced programmer- I just use dreamweaver and edit dreamweaver html code. I have implemented some simple java and php in the past, but a long time ago. It would be helpful if there is a way to do this that I can implement myself (I would prefer not to pay a monthly fee to a service to do this for me, but to set it up to work from my website).

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Matt

Really easy to do. Using Paypal's ipn, have it open a page on your site which extracts an email, creates a random password, and stores it in a database, then emails the user the password. The user needs to enter the url in the download address to be able to access the files. If you need source code, PM me, and I can help you out.

Really easy to do. Using Paypal's ipn, have it open a page on your site which extracts an email, creates a random password, and stores it in a database, then emails the user the password. The user needs to enter the url in the download address to be able to access the files. If you need source code, PM me, and I can help you out.

Thanks,

This sounds like it might work- is there a way to tell it to only allow one download per username?

yep, tell the script to set a flag in the database to 1, (this way if a users download is incomplete you can reinable it)

Lol Oh of course! Now it all becomes clear to me. Set a flag in the database. I think if I knew how to do all of this, I wouldn't have been asking ;) As I said before, I'm not a php programmer, so if anyone knows how to carry all of this through, some help would be most appreciated :)

Basically, you are going to need some php and database experience to get this to work. It's beyond the capabilities of someone who is doing things on dreamweaver without a knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes.

I do have some knowledge of whats going on behind the scenes- can't build decent websites without it, however, I can't program a brand new programming language from scratch. I'm asking for source code and instructions on how to implement

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.