[SOLVED] Why won't IE7 center text within a TH element?

Kinsbane

Does anyone know? No matter what I do, if I be absolutely specific with it, IE7 won't do shit.

Not even if, inside the TH element, I use the align attribute, or even if I declare the style for it in the element itself.

It just doesn't happen, and I'm at my wit's end as to why because I have a group of people who are breaking my door down, foaming at the mouth who ABSOLUTELY NEED IT CENTERED!

Someone help.. :(

[attachment deleted by admin]

The point of the Table header is not to span across several columns in a single table, you need to use a nested table to do that, like done below.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html lang="en">
<head>

<title>Centered Table Header Example</title>

</head>
<body>

<table>
  <tr>
   <th>Centered Table Header</th>
  </tr>
  <tr>
   <td>
    <table>
     <tr>
      <td>Cell 1</td>
      <td>Cell 2</td>
      <td>Cell 3</td>
      <td>Cell 4</td>
      <td>Cell 5</td>
      <td>Cell 6</td>
      <td>Cell 7</td>
      <td>Cell 8</td>
      <td>Cell 9</td>
      <td>Cell 10</td>
     </tr>
    </table>
   </td>
  </tr>
</table>

</body>
</html>

Actually, I think he was referring to the "OS###" headers not being centered.  Which is weird because TH are centered by default.

@the op, you must have a text-align: left or something going on.  Look at this code.  The <TH> columns naturally centers in FF and IE.

<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">
  body { font-family: 'Tahoma'; }
  table { margin: 0; padding: 0; width: 100%; border-collapse: collapse;}
  th { background-color: #648fe4; border-right: 1px solid #FFF;}
  tr td { background-color: #e8f0ff; border-right: 1px solid #FFF; padding: 4px;}
  tr.even td { background-color: #d8e5fe; }
  .last { border: 0px; }
</style>
</head>
<body>
<table>
  <tr>
  <th>One</th><th>Two</th><th>Three</th><th>Four</th><th>Five</th><th>Six</th><th class="last">Seven</th>
  </tr>
  <tr class="even">
    <td>Lorem</td><td>Ipsum</td><td>Lorem</td><td>Ipsum</td><td>Lorem</td><td>Ipsum</td><td class="last">Lorem</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Lorem</td><td>Ipsum</td><td>Lorem</td><td>Ipsum</td><td>Lorem</td><td>Ipsum</td><td class="last">Lorem</td>
  </tr>
  <tr class="even">
  </tr>
  <tr>
  </tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the update on this. I guess it had to deal with the 6 different stylesheets I was using before I did a redesign. After consolidating and starting

from scratch, the TH elments in IE7 are now centered. If you go to http://www.mrv.com/product/MRV-OS-OS9000B/ and click "View product matrix" you'll see it.

BlueBoden, the centered purple text above the table you were seeing is the table's <caption> element.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.