Text off focus?

monkeytooth

I dunno if this is the right section to ask this but i figure its gotta be JavaScript of some sort or another..

So I have a form, multiple text, textarea, radio buttons, etc.. right now im mostly driven towards the text inputs.. I want it when someone is filling out the fields in the form to that them check if the last field that had focus has something in it, and if it does does it fit the criteria of the field ie, email or numeric only or does it even have anything in that field when the user goes to the next... I am using most a php driven app, and right now im going some what old school on it fill it out, goto a confirm, confirmed? goto finish, otherwise go back.. and that work for what its worth but i want to save bandwidth i wanna save people time from jumping back and forth so my concept is..

When they jump off that element and onto the next if it doesn't match what I want in that field then I want the field to turn a tinge of red to indicate a "Whoops", grant it i know to some that may not mean much and I will have my handlers for on submit and after submit, but that is just one of my attempts to try and make things more easier for all around.

Any ideas? Better yet I know im tired so does this make sence to anyone?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.