extract($_POST['specialties']);
foreach($specialties as $value) {                     	
if (isset($_POST['specialties'])) {
	$checked = '';
	if ($specialties[$i] == $value) {
		$checked = ' checked';
	}
}
   echo "<tr><td><input name='specialties[]' type='checkbox' value='$value'$checked /></td><td>$value $i</td></tr>";
   ++$i;                            
}
?>

I am creating a list of checkboxes for my form using an array. I have setup the script to check if all fields are filled in before it submits itself. If the validation doesn't pass then the script reloads the form with the field filled with the details the user had entered.

I am trying to also make it so the checkboxes that the user had selected before validation are still checked after they don't pass validation. I have tried doing so using:

<?php
if ($specialties[$i] == $value) {
$checked = ' checked';
}
?>

...but I am unable to get $specialties[$i] to work correctly. I have tried $specialties[0] and the script works fine for the first checkbox which is of course what I want for the all the checkboxes. That is why I have tried using $i but not successfully.

Is there a better way of doing this? What am I doing wrong?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.