[SOLVED] Getting the auto-increment primary key without searching

burntheblobs

I am running a php script that submits information for two tables at once. The mysql has tables that look something like this:

TABLE person

COLUMN personId (primary key, auto-increment)

COLUMN personAge

TABLE post

COLUMN postId (primary key, auto-increment)

COLUMN personId

COLUMN postInfo

The problem is that I want to be able to submit the information for the "person" table, and then somehow grab the "personId" for the information I just submitted and apply that to "personId" for the "post" table. I want to do this without making the user have to search through the database and pick out what they just submitted via form.

Since you probably read the manual section on the function before or at some point while you were trying to use it, you probably knew that a procedural style call to mysqli_insert_id required the mysqli link id as a parameter - http://us3.php.net/mysqli_insert_id

The only way to effectively use a programming language is to make use of the programming language reference manual.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.