Insane embedded fonts! -HELP

gecko

Take a look at this screenshot of a website I am doing at the moment; I have been embedding the Bradley Hand ITC font by request of the client, which should display as a 'handwriting' style on most of the text on the website.

http://www.annbrierley.co.uk/fontProblem.JPG

However, when the website is viewed on a PC that has NOT got Bradley Hand ITC font installed, the text displays as shown the screenshot above! (A mix of Times New Roman and Bradley Hand ITC fonts all mixed together, when it should all be displayed as Bradley!)

I can't think what could be causing this problem, so I'm totally confused!

I used Microsoft WEFT to generate an .eot file so that the font can be viewed on all PC.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

The nature of the web is that users must have fonts on their system to be able to see them. Microsoft came up with a proprietary solution - but it only works on IE, and with up to 40% of users using Firefox these days, and a significant number of others using Safari, Opera or others, using microsoft-only code just means that a large number of users won't see what you want.

There are two ways around this - create an image with the font and use the image instead, or use SIFR (google it). However both these methods are only really good for titles, not for the entire text of a site.

I've managed to convince the client that her desired font isn't the best choice for use in the website, and advised her that the use of a more common font would be better. I think this is the only realistic approach; keep it simple!

I just created a font-family class in CSS, with Bradley Hand ITC first, and then my client's second preferred font (which is more common) as Comic Sans MS, followed by Verdana.

Viewers that DO have Bradley Hand ITC installed will view the text as Bradley; viewers that don't have it installed will have it displayed to them in Comic Sans MS.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.