[SOLVED] $_SESSION[] variable not being passed

allasso

I have had no success in passing the $_SESSION["var"] array to other pages. I have included code that looks something like below, with session_start() at the very top of the script, and not html above it. (no output sent before session_start() ). I have also included session_start() on all pages I wish to retrieve the variables from. No success.

<?php

session_start();

$_SESSION["var"] = 'hello world';

?>

any ideas?

Thanks, Allasso

Report this post

PAGE1.PHP:

<?php
session_start();
$_SESSION["var"] = 'hello world';
?>

PAGE2.PHP

<?php
session_start();
echo $_SESSION["var"];
?>

I dont understand why its not being passed??? Double check u got session_start(); at top of each page with the session data.

Add the following two lines of code immediately after your first <?php tag on each page to get php to help you -

ini_set ("display_errors", "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL);

Alternatively, you should be learning php or learning anything new in php, developing php code, or debugging php code on a system where those two settings have been set in php.ini. That way you won't need to remember to remove those two lines when you put your code onto a live server. Stop and start your web server to get any changes made to php.ini to take effect.

the problem was that I was using integers as keys in the $_SESSION[] array.  Apparently you can't do that unless they are mixed with alpha characters.  Couldn't find anything about that in the manual, but maybe it is in there somewhere.  But it was sure obvious that it worked when I used alpha, and didn't when I didn't.  I tried it several times.

When I posted my code, I was on a different system, so I just posted something "generic", thus using "var" for a key.  I see it is sure important to post the code just as it is written.  Sorry.

Thanks all,

Allasso

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.