getting test to save breaks in database

smartin1017

I looked into that function but for soeone coming to the site and filling in info they are not going to know to put in /n. Think of a social network, you fill in all these different textareas and they always show the paragraphs with the breaks. How do they do this, I am thinking they might use javascript with php. Any ideas?

I looked into that function but for someone coming to the site and filling in info they are not going to know to put in /n. Think of a social network, you fill in all these different textareas and they always show the paragraphs with the breaks. How do they do this, I am thinking they might use javascript with php. Any ideas?

They dont put in "\n".  Whenever you press the Enter key on your keyboard, that is where the "\n" comes from. So people filling out a bio would just hit Enter, which would take them to the next line, like this

and the nl2br() function will make sure that, when you display the text, the \n's are preserved.

Does that make sense?  \n is a whitespace character, that means that nobody sees it.  Spacebar is represented by \s, and tabs are represented by \t, they are also whitespace characters.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.