Permissions

Gemori

I searched around to find ways to prevent people from indexing and looking at all the contents of a directory, but now rises another problem.... What if they know the full path? I have a folder with 4 .mp3 songs in it and I use them in a flash music player. The flash player needs to be able to use them and does so with an XML file. I made looking at indexes not possible so the user could not see the list of songs and simply right click and save as. The flash player shows the song name and sadly it's the .mp3 file name. Therefore anyone could just go mysite.com>music/song.mp3 and receive the song. Is there a way to protect my song files but allow the flash mp3 player play them? I'm allowing people to listen to the songs but I don't want them to download....

just taking a shot here but, you could place your files outside the web root. setting the flash app to run as a user or group that has access to the files that the web server itself does not.  You should also be able to mask the files in the flash app as well which might be easier.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.