ERD help !!

divadiva

Experts,

I am again stuck:

DataBase has Invnetory(id,manufacturers) and Manufacturer(man_name) table.

Both the tables are populated in front end using php.

I am not sure how  both of these tables are related?In website ,the php code first populates man_name from manufacturer and after that it joins with inventory  and populate inventory table.

And in query browser it says that man_name field from manufacturer is an index.

I am quite confused what relation these two field and  two tables have?Do they have foreign key relation or i am missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Most MySQL databases do not have explicit foreign keys defined. Instead all dependencies are taken care of in PHP script.

The reason for this is that the most popular storage egine for MySQL is MyISAM, which does not support foreign keys.

So, if your tables are MyISAM, there are no foreign keys defined as such. The frontend script has to take care of everything.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.